Monday, May 4, 2009

The other side of the spirea

I was walking to my car after leaving work tonight and noticed the banks of spirea along the edge of a portion of university property. I hadn't noticed the spirea until today but the bushes are in their glory right now and it happens to be an especially good year for spirea.

The truth is I've been enjoying the spirea for years. A rock wall runs along this border and I've always waited and watched for the spirea to bloom because it cascades over the wall in long, icy drips. I love the way spirea arches and flows and it's most noticeable when it blooms. In fact, the extra weight of the flowers makes the branches bow even more.

The best vantage point is from the street where the wall is visible from under the bushes. It's a lovely contrast with the rock and the flowers.

I feel very lucky to be on the other side of the spirea now, enjoying the view from both the inside and the outside. Happy Spring!

No comments: