Monday, December 7, 2009

Winter storm warning

For the first time since I was in high school, I am praying for a snow day. We are in a winter storm warning, which could dump snow on us causing the university to close. If they close, I have absolutely nothing to do but curl up alongside a fire, watching the Christmas tree twinkle. If there is a God in heaven, I will be living my dream.

Universities don't close for every little whip stitch. I know that. It makes snow days even more special and appreciated. (....please, please, please!) I know it will be an even greater challenge because finals just started and it's hard to reschedule those. Oh well.

Okay, I made an awesome soup tonight. Here is what was in it:

2 quarts of vegetable stock (I purchased this because I didn't have time to make my own. I used organic and it was yummy and hearty)
2 cups cooked, diced turkey
1 or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
16 oz. or so of frozen mixed vegetables
1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning (usually for shrimp or seafood)
2 tsps. thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup uncooked rice

Bring broth to boil and add bouillon, turkey, mixed vegetables and seasonings. Return to boil and add rice. Cook until rice is tender. Pig out.

The original recipe called for the leftover turkey carcass (from Thanksgiving) to be cooked in the broth but that is long gone so I improvised. I also doubled up the veggies because I was cleaning out the freezer and I also doubled the rice. Half cup just didn't sound like enough. It was still awesome and used up the rest of our turkey in a very satisfying way.

So let's see. Winter storm watch, hearty soup, Christmas tree is decorated and fireplace is ready to be lit. Come on snow day!

No comments: