Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bunco fun

I just got home from bunco.  I'm hoarse from talking and my nose is running from laughing.  We had a great night and I didn't win a thing.  What I DID do is demonstrate an amazing propensity to predict when the next bunco would roll.  I know I did it at least three times tonight.  And it's not like I was predicting it right and left and just got lucky three times.  I predicted three times and was correct three times. 

Once in a while, even I get lucky.  I couldn't necessarily apply it to my own situation, but it was still fun. 

About a week ago I started a super-quickie baby blanket for a friend's grandchild because I've been invited to a baby shower this weekend.  I'm going to have to boogie to get it done by Saturday, but I think I can.  It's simply a yard square of fleece (this is cute with little monkey faces on it) with a crocheted border (the hand-made portion).  I chose a border that has scallops because they reminded me of the monkey ears.  The background on the blanket is pale green with brown monkeys, and the crocheted border is a soft brown in the same color as the monkeys.  It's cuter than it sounds. I thought it would be quick and easy and technically it is (especially by my standards for starting and completing projects) but punching the holes in the fleece in order to crochet the border on the edges was a bitch.  I tried several ways and finally ended up punching the initial hole with a sharp yarn needle, then enlarging by pushing the entire crochet hook through the hole.  It took forever.  Once I got that done, it's gone fairly quickly but progress halts when my eyes are too spent.

It was in the upper 50's when I walked this morning and is supposed to be even cooler tomorrow morning.  I had to wear a jacket because I'm naturally chilly.  I also got a little cool last night even though I had a sheet and a thermal blanket on.  I think I'll keep an afghan nearby for tonight.

I was the designated driver tonight (not really -- we don't drink much at bunco although we talk about it like we do) and we were having margarita discussions.  People like to tell the story of how, several years ago, R and I went out with another couple and the wife and I enjoyed mucho 99-cent margaritas.  It was astonishing to us, even in that state, that we were not asked to leave the establishment because we were loud and ridiculous.  Our husbands were patient, but mildly embarrassed.  Anyway, the next day I had a terrific sinus headache.  I told R about it and he accused me of having a hangover.  It didn't FEEL like a hangover, it felt like a sinus headache.  I understand why everyone would think I would be hung over, but I think all of the laughing and carrying on got my nasal passages going and gave me a sinus headache instead.

I have yet to live it down.  I guess I'll just have to try it again sometime to see if I get the same result.  That would prove it, right?  Right.

I'm going to wrap up and get ready for bed.  The moon shone so brightly in my window last night (it leaked around the edges of the blackout shades) that I thought my neighbor's garage light was left on.  It's a waning gibbous moon, about 98% full, so it's pretty awesome.  Check it out.

No comments: