Monday, August 23, 2010

Superior

It really takes very little effort for me to become full of myself.  I'm a praise hog by nature, and if you puff me up, I will expand.  Today was one of those days where I wasn't puffed up from praise but by the evidence presented that I am way better at my job than my boss is at his. 

I took off last Friday afternoon all of two hours early (since I also skipped lunch).  I used a little comp time because of the frequent late nights and doggone it I deserved it.  I knew it frightened my boss because he really is bad at covering for me.  But I need to be able to be away from the office on occasion, whether he can handle it or not. 

I left him with instructions and included information on certain refunds to hold.  I was afraid he would hold refunds he shouldn't hold, so I took the time to force them before I left that day instead of allowing them to refund during the regular process.  I also knew it would be a challenge for him to run the required reports needed to catch the outliers and the changes that shouldn't refund, so I ran them before I left too.  That meant that only changes between 2:00 and 5:00 would need his attention.

So today I get to work and the phone calls started.  It turns out he did almost nothing right in my absence.  He forgot to run the (very important) reports, he forgot to run the direct deposits, he forgot to hold the refunds I asked him to hold.  The rest of the staff was trying to figure out what happened, and he told them there were technical problems.   Well, technically he didn't do his job, so I guess that's partly true.

The topper though was when he came to me after lunch and asked me in all seriousness if there were issues with the direct deposits that were sent on the 17th.  I couldn't believe the question because hell yes there were issues and it had required him to send out a university-wide e-mail about it on Thursday.  I believe I said something akin to "Don't you remember?" (which came out sounding like "Are you stupid?") "There were issues with the daily cap and then the postdated ACH file!"

"Oh yeah.  I got the dates mixed up,"  he said which may be true but remains unbelievable.  Some of us are wondering if he needs a little Aricept or at the very least some ginko-biloba. 

So if it wasn't already, it became abundantly clear that I cannot be gone during our refunding period.  I find that really unfair and I can't say that I'm never going to be gone, but I don't like to make things harder for our students so I'll try my best.  And I will be the first to say it.  I am his superior in all ways except compensation.  Sigh.  When am I going to be superior in something that really matters and makes me some cash?

No comments: