Monday, August 9, 2010

New moon

I know that legend has it that werewolves come out when there is a full moon, but I'm wondering if maybe there is an opposite effect during a new moon.  If so, what would a person affected be called?  Me, perhaps?

I feel as if I had a ridiculously short fuse today and I'm not sure why.  My boss, who on a good day does ten stupid things before lunch, was his usual self today.  He up-ended a solution we had painstakingly reached with another department to a problem that did not exist before he created it.  Several months ago I had worked with our cashiers and the department to solve the problem he created, eventually returning the procedures to their original state.  It took a lot of work, negotiations, and tact to get everyone back on board and working together. 

For some reason, he forgot all of that, so he went to the department again and told them they had to return to the problematic procedures he created.  Then he told our cashiers what they had to do, which effectively created more work for them too.  They tried to tell him the problem, and he insisted there was no problem.  I was overhearing this all, stupefied that the subject came up again.  I visited with my contact in the other department (who has since become a friend) to get her take on it, and she was incredulous that he was stirring the pot again, oblivious to the problems he created. 

Okay.  He wasn't going to understand the problem or to budge, so I worked on it a little and figured out a way to modify his solution and make it work.  I talked with the other department and they were okay with it with the modifications.  The cashiers were okay with it.  I marched into his office and told him his solution was unworkable as it stands.  He was ready to argue his point and then when I told him what he needed to do, he said it was an easy fix, as if he knew it all along.  "Then why didn't you do that before?" I said and walked out.

Then I called my friend in the other department and told her I spoke with him and he hadn't followed me out of his office and fired me so I guess it was okay.  We laughed.

Anyway, I was over the top angry at him for messing things up again and having no recollection of the work that went behind putting the pieces back together and the work that went into healing the rift with the other department.  Honestly!  Why do I have to fix his mistakes!  It's extraordinarily annoying. 

This is where the new moon comes in.  If a full moon can bring out the werewolf in men, can a new moon bring it out in women?  Or maybe a combination of new moon, stupid boss, fatigue, and a thirst for wine?  Makes perfect sense to me.  I'd howl now, but I'm too tired and thirsty.

No comments: