I have had a headache / toothache / sinusitis for the past week or more. That's a ridiculously long time to live with head pain (I know that's wimpy) and continue to function. Yesterday I felt so crummy after I got to work I basically turned around and went back home. I tried all kinds of remedies including my never-fail migraine medicine (which failed), a neti-pot treatment, gallons of hot tea, rest, a hot bath, and anything else I could think of that sounded good. I went to bed last night (with a headache), slept poorly (with a headache) and woke up this morning (with a headache). I got up, ate breakfast, and decided to stay home again today.
I took another dose of the migraine medicine and while I was making arrangements to be away from work, the pain began to subside. I was a little torn about what to do because I was feeling better than I'd felt in a week, but I decided to stay home and see what happened. I did some work in my home office, did some cleaning, some resting, worked on some projects, and basically salvaged the day just by calling in sick.
I don't want to be one of those people who abuses sick leave and I'm really not, but I was feeling well enough to work today and yet I stayed home. I feel guilty about that, but perhaps it's what I needed to do to feel better. I'm in a good place at work right now so I'm not leaving anyone hanging, and heavens knows I've worked on days when I shouldn't because I couldn't afford to be gone. I hope the karma balances it all out because it's bugging me a bit.
Now I have a dull ache but it's manageable. It's what often remains after a migraine so it's not unusual. Being home today did allow me to get a few things done to prepare for the 30-plus people we are expecting on Sunday for dinner. I know that's a heavy coincidence that could kill the karma balancing, but the headaches were real and the pain was wearying.
Oh yes (and this might really kill it) we are having guests for dinner tonight too but it's only take-out pizza so does that count? And they are really good, casual friends who wouldn't care if I hadn't cleaned my bathroom....but I did anyway.
Oh shut up.
Friday, October 15, 2010
Salvaged
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment