Friday, March 11, 2011

Medicated

I had lunch with my doctor (friend) yesterday, and she heard me cough.  She immediately asked me about it and I dismissed it as the remnants of a cold.  Then I coughed some more and she inquired again.  I told her I was okay, that I only coughed when I talked, went outside, or moved.  So basically I'm good.  When she found out I missed two days of work she asked why I didn't call her. 

Who calls the doctor for a cold?  She told me I was crazy.

When I couldn't stop coughing, she said she was going to send me out some prescriptions to help me get past my typically lengthy recovery period.  I am now on antibiotics, an inhaler, and steroids. 

So when I charted the steroid doses, I discovered I'd be taking my last one on the day before my colonoscopy.  That was a little concerning because A)  I'm only allowed clear liquids on the day before and the steroids have to be taken with food; and B)  I wasn't sure if they would affect the colonoscopy adversely in any way.  I called the doctor's office that will do the colonoscopy and she said it was okay to keep the appointment.  In fact, I can take my last pill early on the last day with a glass of milk and something bland because she said the steroids will need something to digest?  I might have that wrong, but at least I can finish up the steroids because they give dire warnings about missing doses and stuff like that.  I even set the alarm clock on my phone to remind me so I don't miss a dose.  The warnings scared me.

Also on the last day I am scheduled to start a leadership seminar my bosses are sending me to.  It's a retreat, team-building kind of thing that I think I'll enjoy.  Apparently they serve good food....which I won't be able to eat.  Should I call ahead and request they make a pan of plain jello?  I need to read my prep instructions.  Maybe I can tuck a couple of bouillon cubes in my purse and ask for hot water.

Yesterday morning I dubbed R with the nickname "Fogie."  I'm pretty sure that karma has officially bit me back on that one.

No comments: