Friday, March 4, 2011

Rain

Today was a rainy, dreary, miserable day.  My uncle passed away this week and the funeral was today.  I got sick yesterday and ended up missing everything because I didn't want to give my virus to everyone else.  I missed seeing my cousins and my family because of an upper-respiratory infection.  R closed up his shop and went to everything, offering condolences for both of us.

The rain outside is exactly how I feel inside:  gloomy.

My mother is now the last sibling of the original eight.  She's relatively healthy and upbeat and has a good mind.  She does crossword puzzles daily, sends e-mails to family and a host of friends, and is busy now with her new retirement community.  I'm proud of her and her ability to make a life and roll with the punches.

When her first sister died, she was only around 40.  The rest of the siblings lived to their 80's and 90's, as did my grandparents.  I believe my mother could go into her 100's.  She had an aunt who lived to 105.

My cousins have been in contact with my mother, especially as their own parents pass away.  I think it's really nice of them and it makes her feel needed.  I really do have a great family.

But on this gloomy day, with my aching muscles and wheezing chest, with my fatigue and headache, I'm in my own little pity party.  I'm disappointed I didn't get to see everyone, and pay my respects.  Tomorrow R is heading off to see our youngest and his family and I'll be staying home to do some more recovering and catch up a little around here.  I don't think it will be warm enough, but I'd love to open up the house and air it out a little. We're supposed to have supper with friends and I'm thinking I'll be good by then.  The pity party will be over.

No comments: