Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Learning

I finished the fourth day of my five-day leadership course (taught over five weeks) today, and it was good.  I've been at the same table with two of the more challenging people in our class for three of the four weeks, but today I think I came to grips with that.  I'm not responsible for them or what they take away from it or anything except what I take away from it.  I'm such an overachiever that I always want to do well and get the most out things, and their outbursts were annoying me and distracting the class.  Today I figured out that I get what I get out of the class, and I need to let the rest go. 

I'm such a kvetch!  When I'm trying to focus on something, I hate to be interrupted so that's really my issue isn't it?

I've been driving to the course along with a neighbor who also works at the university.  He's someone I didn't really know previously, but we've become friends.  I've also made acquaintances with other people around the university and am enjoying learning from them and knowing them.  Even the more challenging classmates are fun and friendly and good to know.  One of them would have been my co-worker had I got the other job, and I found myself grateful to know her better and also glad I ended up staying where I was.  That challenge could get old every day! 

In a strange twist of fate, the guy who got the job I applied for is also taking the course, and it's clear he has his hands full with her.  I thought he was her supervisor but that may not be true.  It's hard to tell and the story changes depending on who you talk to.  Now wouldn't that be fun to figure out when you start a new job?  At any rate, he's a nice guy, pretty young, and we get along fine.  I've not told him that he got the job I applied for but I can't imagine that someone hasn't told him since that whole department knows.  Whether he knows it or not, I'm cool with it and I don't think my behavior or attitude says anything other than that.

I'm still trying to get over the stomach / gut issues I developed the other day.  I have no idea what happened, but I'm trying to drink lots of water and eat a little more healthy.  I wondered if my colon was twisted or something, but I think that would have been more serious, along the lines of an emergency.  Nothing like over-dramatizing things, huh? 

I'm taking tonight off from work so I hope we can take a walk later.  I so need some down time, but I also need to learn to not stress about my hectic schedule.  Just do it and don't whine or snivel.  Wine helps, as do dark chocolate M&M's.  Take notes on this, because this is my lesson for the day.

No comments: