Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Slogging through

I'm at that time of year again when the financial aid drops into student accounts, where the authorizations from third parties come fast and thick from the fax machine and email, and where my days are long and incessantly busy.  I enjoy the pace and the visits with students and I like to think I'm good at my job and make a difference.

Until now. 

I was asked to fill an accounting position in our sister department when it was vacated by my counterpart there.  I had less than two weeks to train for the job while still trying to do my own.  The job is entirely different and I have no idea what to do, but she's gone now and I'm making stabbing attempts at understanding it while I'm still working in my old office.  All of this is taking place during my busiest time which will turn into that position's busiest time in September.  I don't know if this is job security or job insanity.

I've narrowed the duties I still perform in my old office down to the ones that I alone know how to do.  My boss is handling the rest of my work to the best of his abilities.  This is one of those times when I just close my eyes and hope for the best. 

I haven't done much in the other office except get permissions and access to the parts of our software that I'll need.  I'm getting supplemental pay until the powers that be sort out what they are going to offer me salary-wise, and I can't complain about that.  I don't feel I'm earning it right now unless the stress, doubt and worry count for something.

R is taking care of the home front.  He's cooking dinner, rubbing my shoulders, and keeping my spirits up.  I'm seriously overwhelmed but it's all because of the uncertainty and change.  I'll get through it (or not) and will figure it out.  Everyone thinks I'll be great in that position although I'll miss the student contact.  I'm not as sure, but I appreciate their faith in me.  The Director is very sure I can do it, and he asked me to make the change as soon as he received the resignation of the previous occupant of that desk.  Seriously, it was within minutes.

I had a pretty good day today, although I had one student accuse me of swearing (strangely, I didn't).  He was a little schmoozey and overly flirtatious with this 50-year-old-plus woman.  He may be a challenge down the road, but that also may be someone else's problem.  Maybe I won't miss the student contact after all...

I need some chocolate. 

No comments: