Sunday, January 22, 2012

While the dough rises...

I have a few minutes while the pizza dough rises.  One of our favorite weekend suppers is my homemade pizza which is simple and unadorned but delicious and terrific left over.  It's simple which means I can make it with my eyes closed and the ingredients are not extravagant, but it does take a little time for rising and baking so it's not a good weeknight supper. 

We thought we'd try to take a walk while the dough rises, but it began to sprinkle and we didn't want to get caught in the rain.  I was wearing my new grey suede boots and I definitely didn't want them to get soaked.  Maybe after supper.

We're watching one of my favorite movies, "Driving Miss Daisy," although we caught it somewhere in the last half.  R is jumping back and forth between the playoff game.  It's a good movie to watch while the dough rises because I know it well enough to be able to miss parts.  I should probably check the dough soon to see how much it's expanded.

I'm enjoying a moment of mindlessness.  I haven't had many of those moments in the past several weeks and it's been frustrating.  I depend on a certain amount of mindlessness to recharge my brain.  I need mental health breaks and they have been few and far between.  My brain is like dough that just keeps rising because no one's punched it down.  You would think it's a good thing for dough to rise to its fullest height, but it isn't.  It makes it too airy and yeasty and the finished product isn't good. 

I guess what I'm saying is....I need a good punching down.  I need to deflate, rest, and begin my second rising.  Now to go check that dough...

No comments: