Monday, March 5, 2012

Headway

We've had an ongoing project in our old basement for months and tonight R made some serious headway.  Our walls are old and there are places that leak, so he is patching and then painting the walls with Drylock paint.  We know the basement will never be finish-able, but it can certainly be better than it is.   Tonight he finished up the smallest room down there and put back the items he moved out in order to work on the walls.  That cleaned up the center of the basement where everything was stacked so now the space is open and swept.  I boxed up some toys we inherited from friends and he took them to a neighbor.  There are a few furniture pieces that we were storing for my son, and they'll go away next weekend. Two sacks of clothes will go to charity.  Clearing out and cleaning up has made both of us feel better and really accomplished.  Watching Hoarders tonight has made me feel really glad we're doing this.

There is a lot more to go through down there, but we'll take it a bit at a time.  We're slow, but I think we're determined.  We have stuff from the kids and more toys than we should have, but we can pare down. 

Dang -- this sounds like a Hoarders episode.  Trust me, it's not.  It's just been too long since we've cleaned it out.  It's inevitable that things will accumulate after 34 years of marriage.  I tell you what though, looking through things down there makes it easier to understand how people go over the hoarding edge.

I'm tired now and my eyes are burning so I guess I'm done.  I have dominoes here this weekend and bunco here in a couple of weeks so there will be more cleaning in the coming weeks!  I'm excited about that!

No comments: