I just took an apple pie out of the oven and I'll put in a turkey soon. We're having our big meal tomorrow to accommodate kids' schedules which makes today a somewhat leisurely work day. Personally, I think it is a terrific way to start a holiday; by slowly getting done what needs to get done instead of a frantic dash after work and on the big day.
I had my breakfast with friends yesterday and had a really nice time. It appears I worried in advance for nothing which is not unusual for me. How old AM I? Not always old enough to know better I guess. Maybe some day I'll be wise, but I've got a ways to go.
I deleted my mom's email account today. I was the only one monitoring it and there wasn't much recent activity in there except Facebook updates and probably some forwarded viruses so I got rid of everything. I hope that is okay -- it seems very final. She had the gmail account for less than two years but she had lots of emails from lots of friends and family. I didn't want to intrude or spy or read her mail although I have always had the capacity to do that because I set the account up for her. Most of what she received had multiple forwards because so many people would send her jokes or stories or whatever. I have a crazy cousin who would send her anti-Washington political blather which probably just made him feel better. I don't think she ever replied, she just let him electronically vent. I know there were emails there from other cousins who were checking in or answering something she had sent to them. It's nice to know she touched so many of them in ways her own kids were unaware of. I'll let them have those memories and I'll keep mine.
So now the account is closed. I sent emails not long after she died letting some of her contacts know of her passing. I received some nice replies from them, but it's clear some of them didn't delete her name from a group list because she continued to receive emails. Now they'll get bounce back notices but at least they'll know why.
This makes me sad though. It's Thanksgiving today without my mom and I just got rid of something that was hers. I still have emails that she sent me, and I think those are the ones I'm entitled to keep. I hope I'm right....I don't really know what I'm doing here.
Thursday, November 22, 2012
Giving thanks
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment