Friday, November 9, 2012

Good place

How come when I get to a good place with my job, my house, my life, etc., I always end up shaking things up a bit?  I'm a person who thinks she craves routine and quiet yet seems incapable of leaving well enough alone.  At least well enough as defined by my humble, and admittedly low standards.

My job may undergo some changes and although it's been considered for a long time I'm anxious about the possibility.  I guess I should wait and see what actually shakes out before I get too hopped up about it, because it doesn't do any good to worry in advance ("Oh yes, I'm confident all will be okay.  I've satisfactorily completed the worry portion of the competition.")

I still have several incomplete projects around our house that either are only present on my mental wish list or the deterioration is such that I am reminded daily that I should be taking care of them.  (Funny, the same basic sentence applies when I look in the mirror....)  I used to fantasize about what it would be like to live in a house that is completely updated, completely repaired, and decorated to my taste, but I think, at this point in my life, that will never happen. I still see work we need to complete and know by the time we finish the task, other projects will pop up like whack-a-moles.  And even when we do finish something, I barely allow myself time to enjoy the "well done" moment before I'm thinking, "Good!  Now we can focus on ...."

My life is pretty much in a comfortable routine except for the occasional worries that crop up.  I'm grateful to put the quadrennial election worries behind me, but I still have concerns for family members that are ill or troubled.  I have events that I'm obligated to attend but I don't really want to, and events I want to attend but I don't have time or money.  Nothing new there.  That's my status quo.

We have a busy weekend ahead with some family events and of course I'm heading into it exhausted and behind in my bookwork.  I slept poorly last night (poorly is an understatement when you can add up the minutes in your head, even after sleeping poorly) so I'm kind of achy and cranky.  But we have dominoes tomorrow night which will provide me with laughs that work my abs and clear my sinuses, so I'll be back to my good place.

It's clear I have nothing much to say, but an uncontrollable urge to say something anyway.  Time to quit.


2 comments:

Josie said...

Your house is beautiful. It's personal and sweet, modern and comfortable. I have seen a lot of houses of people close to your age and am often surprised how the houses are stuck in a certain era (often late 80s, early 90s). Your house reflects freshness without even trying. Nobody (not even your next of kin) knows you have unfinished projects, except when you tell them.

Mary said...

You are such a sweet person. I love you and your ability to make me feel better.