Thursday, December 27, 2012

I've got it down cold


My body is positively brilliant.  It instinctively knows when I am preparing to have a little bit of down time, and it takes advantage of that to allow through the cold, aches, sore throat, or whatever that it was beating back during my busy times.  I have a few days left of my winter break, and this morning I awoke with that unmistakable burn in my throat and nasal passages that means I am getting a cold.  This is my third time in the past month or two, and at least the second time it appeared during a scheduled vacation.

I had errands to run this morning and stopped at the pharmacy for some Cold-Eze to help me get over this.  I'll be meeting with my Mom's attorney this afternoon and I need to be lucid, but I'll be with one of my brothers so that will help.  I'm on my second pot of tea and I'd nap this afternoon but I have too much to do to prep meals for the family gatherings over the next two days.  Good thing is much of what I'm making can simmer and rest so maybe I can too.

I went into work yesterday to stay fairly caught up before the onslaught begins next week and I must say it was awesome being the only one there.  No phone ringing, no questions, just me crossing off task after task. I had over 200 emails and was able to sort out the auto-replies and the other junk and answer the ones that needed it.  Note to self:  probably should remain a daily task to check emails from home so there aren't so many since I'm answering the ones for the Business Office now.

I finally found semolina flour that had inexplicably vanished from store shelves (not even a spot for it) at a grocery store across town this morning.  I use it in my homemade noodles to make them awesome.  I bought two packages and they are tucked safely in the freezer.  I may have to hoard it, although I purchased homestyle noodles from the other grocery store in the event I couldn't find semolina and I have way too many packages of those now.

I received a check for a small portion of my Mom's estate today and splurged a little at the grocery store.  My idea of splurge is a bag of dark chocolate peanut M&M's and a container of Starbuck's double chocolate hot cocoa mix.  Note the consistency there.  Later, I stopped at a McDonald's drive-thru and picked up a small order of fries and an iced tea for NO GOOD REASON.  Man I'm flush.

It's now the end of the day and I'm at a lull in the task list, so I'm going to go put my feet up and drink wine.  This was a really good day after all I guess.


No comments: