Thursday, December 6, 2012

Me-day

It's Thursday, a day I should have worked, but I was up most of the night with a sore throat, cough, and nuclear fission flashes (or possibly bursts of a fever).  Oh yeah, and a headache.

I've been on the verge of getting sick all week and decided I tipped the scale to illness today.  I called in and stayed home and took a me-day.  My theory?  If I don't take care of myself, no one will.  If I don't take time to feel better, I will feel worse longer.  I napped, drank three pots of tea, and tackled only low energy projects or nothing at all.  And peed a LOT.

I didn't walk this morning or yesterday and probably won't tomorrow so I feel pretty sluggish.  That could be because I'm sick though, but if I stay home tomorrow I think I'll do some yoga just to move a little.

I actually have a vacation day tomorrow but had a shopping trip planned with friends from work.  I don't know that I'm feeling up to it and am working on talking myself out of it so I can have another recuperation day.  I feel like I'm backing out on them though so I have a little guilt to overcome.  They still have enough going to make a good day of it, and it's not like I'm the glue holding anything together.

The work thing is still in process, but it looks like it's going to happen.  I spoke with the Budget Director yesterday at a meeting with all of the big wigs and she told me she was on the search committee for my boss' replacement and she hoped I would be applying.  I told her I would be and she said, "Good. You're a shoe-in."  Wow.  I am amazed at the faith people have in my abilities.  It's hard to see it when my own ability to focus on a task is hindered by my misplaced focus on my sore throat and headache.  How do people in important positions get past their own stuff and see the big pictures?  I have no freakin' idea.  I have to remind myself not to zone out examining my chipped nail polish when I should be paying attention in meetings.

We have dominoes on Saturday night and I'm ready to rumble.  Hope I'll have a voice left to talk smack.

No comments: