Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Owls are still lucky

My walking partner and I heard an owl on our walk this morning. I think I actually heard two. I said it was going to be a lucky day and she said "Not for you anymore" which is a reference to the last time I heard an owl on the day I had an interview for a job that I didn't get.

I told her that maybe I wasn't supposed to get that job, it might have been really bad for me. I can rationalize almost anything. I'm convinced that owls are still lucky. Just look at them! They are awesome!

She conceded that after I didn't get that job I had gone to my bosses and told them that I needed to make some changes because I was bored and had too much time on my hands. They agreed and came up with an interesting task for me to add to my list of tasks in the office. I was thrilled and for the first time in a long time I was actually excited about going to work. How lucky is that? (Thank you owl.)

My new task is organizing, charting, and following up on medical and billing records requests that are made for personal injury and med mal cases in our office. That is SO up my alley. I love to organize, chart, and follow up! I'm also creating a spreadsheet template used to track the records and charges so when the notebook is opened, it is easy to tell what's been done, what's in process, and what's left to do. I had actually created the spreadsheet a few years back for the attorney's secretary (at the request of her boss) but she didn't like it and didn't use it. She was most comfortable with her WordPerfect or Word documents with tables inserted. They were so cumbersome and inefficient it drove me crazy, but I probably wouldn't want to learn how to use a new program like Excel if I was months away from retirement.

Oh, who are we kidding. I would love to learn a new program, even past retirement! But that's me.

I got to work on my new project today which was a blessing since the attorneys are gone for a few days. Usually that makes the office unbearable for me as the secretaries conduct their annual bitch-fest during their absence. I sit back in my office, avoiding whoever I can, closing the door when necessary. But today I had stuff to do, stuff to solve, and stuff to make more efficient. I was in heaven!

The cool thing about this task is that it will constantly evolve. Usually when I tackle a long-term project there is an end date and then I'm twiddling my thumbs again. This time I'll spend some time catching up on the open cases and then will continue to work on things as new ones come in.

I know, I'm pathetic. But I'm happy. Oh! Maybe the owl hooting today means I'll win some $$ at bunco tonight! That would be awesome!

Okay, I've crossed the line into super pathetic....

No comments: