As I've written before, I am doing some contract work for the old firm. It's going okay, but it keeps me busier than I usually like to be during my free time. However it's paying me more than I've been paid before per hour so the trade off at this point is worth it.
My replacement is nice. Truly. I think she tries. I think she has some skills, and I don't think they were misrepresented, but they are no where NEAR where they need to be. Her work is chaotic and usually wrong and her attempts to fix it are even wronger. Yes, I said it -- wronger. She is not the wrongest yet, but she's getting there.
I had a telephone conversation with my old boss today. I'm not sure how much I should say about her work and how much he already knows. He is aware that I'm spending a lot of time fixing stuff (and I've saved all of my e-mails as proof) but I don't know if he's ready to cut his losses yet. I'm not sure if he should. I'm wondering though if he thinks what I used to do was so easy that any properly trained monkey can do it? I apologize for that reference because I hate it, but that's kind of what it's boiling down to. I'm not sure there was ever a great deal of respect for what I used to do until I stopped doing it and all hell broke loose.
So for now I'm doing what I'm told and keeping them apprised. And documenting my work. I may be a trained monkey but I'm not stupid.
Cool event of the day: at the new job, something came up that revealed we needed some procedures and practices in place for cash advances to other departments. It's been a little haphazard in the past, but it hasn't come across my desk before now. I took my questions to my boss who said that it was something he had been meaning to do but hadn't had time. So he turned it over to me to handle. I researched it, got input, wrote up instructions and updated the forms needed to accomplish the task. And I got such kudos for my efforts! I think my boss was impressed and the two people in finance I shared it with went crazy over it. Now I have to make my final revisions and then pass it along to the big boss, the Director of Finance.
This can't be a bad thing when I come off probation and am given my annual evaluation. Since I've never had an evaluation, is this something I should be keeping track of so I'll have some things to point to? Guess I'll find out.
Maybe I should direct them to my blog...HA!
Okay, now it's time to rest. R had to cook dinner and clean up the kitchen because I was working my little monkey tail off. I should visit with him a little. Ta!
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Where do my obligations end?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Post a Comment