Thursday, August 20, 2009

Diet

R saw his doctor yesterday. His doctor told him he has to lose some weight, even more than he had the last time he saw him. It seemed to light a fire under him and he's trying to figure out how to accomplish that. He's also on a new med because his glucose (I think) was high.

For the record, I have been giving gentle reminders that he needs to lose some weight. His family history isn't weight friendly, and to control his glucose, cholesterol, and blood pressure, he really needs to watch it. He came home and repeated his doctor's advice to me, and seemed kind of surprised. It's funny how much more valid advice appears when it comes from an expert. Even when it's identical to what a nagging wife has been saying.

Now here's the annoying part. He said today he's already down a pound and a half. Since yesterday. I couldn't do that unless I chopped off an arm. I'm glad for him, but cripes!

Maybe there will be some peripheral weight loss happening around here. Maybe if he isn't requiring bags of chips and other things kept around the house, I'll be able to lose some weight too. I doubt it will be a pound and a half in 24 hours, but we'll see. I'd be happy with that in a week.

We're replacing his old truck with a roomy minivan. A 1997 with a 2007. It will actually give us more of what we need now which is a second vehicle that can haul cargo as well as people. We're mostly done with our heavy hauling projects, so we don't mind foregoing a full-sized truck and the accompanying struggles with mileage, parking, and maneuverability, for something a little less brawny. I can't remember the last time we hauled something that wouldn't also work in the back of a van with stow-and-go seats. Plus, when you own a truck, it just gets borrowed. A lot. One time it was even returned with a crack in the windshield which wasn't discovered until later.

The only downside is that my vehicle (which I love) will no longer be the newest one. It still feels like a new car to me, so it's weird to give that up. The upside is that we'll be able to drive his car more than we did the truck which will preserve mileage on mine.

Busy at work. Tired at night. More of the same each day. It's okay though because those of us with jobs shouldn't be complaining. I like my job, I make a difference, and I'm good at it. I've never been out of a job when I wanted one, and we shouldn't take that for granted. It's important, and some of it is luck, some of it is timing, and some of it is hard work.

Good night.

No comments: