Monday, December 28, 2009

Knee deep

I appear to be knee deep in just about everything. Literally as well as figuratively.

We had a major snow storm here and have shoveled as much this year as we did all last year. It's becoming a challenge for me to heave the shovelfuls up on top of the piles. It will take forever to melt, especially on the front of our house which faces north. Today I cleared the neighbors' driveway because they were out of town for the holidays and I didn't want them to come home and be unable to get their car in their driveway. Note to self: Single wide driveways are not so bad after all and are MUCH easier to clear of deep snow.

I believe we had about 10 inches but the drifted areas were a couple of feet deep. Our dogs have a little path to a cleared off pee and poop area in the back yard. It's getting kind of gross out there. We will probably be knee deep in pee and poop before it's all said and done.

I'm living with a pretty nasty toothache right now. I have a dental appointment on Wednesday and I hope I can make it to then without having my face swell up. I'm surviving on ibuprophen and Aleve. I have a broken tooth and I hope it's not beyond the point of no return. It's depressing but I am hanging in.

R's brother is staying with us this week. He is visiting from the East Coast to spend some time with another brother who is ill. We are glad he is here and he's an easy guest. He's a really, really big guy (probably 400+ lbs.) so there are a few accommodations for his size. This morning R discovered one of our toilets was stopped up and no amount of plunging would solve it. We had to call a plumber this morning. Fortunately, it didn't overflow, and now it's fixed.

My plans to take this week off and just relax went by the wayside. You can't really lay around and veg out when you have a house guest. Having a guest requires cooking, cleaning, laundry and conversation. I'm not complaining about his being here, I'm just observing. I switched gears and am going with it. I also have a dental visit, a mammogram, a trip to the old office to explain year-end backups, a visit to a karate class to watch a friend's son, and some contract work to take care of. I had lunch with a friend today so I don't forget to have some fun too.

Okay, I'm going to take a nap as soon as the Aleve kicks in. A nap is a luxury, and I'm going to enjoy it. Ahhh. ZZZZzzzzzz....................

No comments: