Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Indispensable

I worked with the Financial Aid department today at one of our orientations for incoming students. I was approached by the director who wanted to know if I would help them because my boss hasn't been staying for the Q&A at the orientations. I told her the suggestion to have me help would be better coming from her than me. So here's how it went.

She went to him last Friday and told him that they are receiving lots of questions that would better be answered by our office. She said that she would really like to have me sit at their table during the information part of orientation so I can help them and provide information. So then he said, "Well, every great leader surrounds himself with good people."

WTF?

She was telling me this and said she told him that she too surrounds herself with good people, but she gave me a look like "Is he kidding me?" which was hilarious. No matter what I do or who tells him how indispensable I am, he will turn it into a compliment......for himself. It's genius.

The last time someone tried to pay me a compliment in his presence, he said, "I know I did a great job hiring Mary, didn't I?"

Actually, you gotta love it. I'm still getting complimented by my boss in a round about way, but he is still maintaining his superior position and control of what is being said about me. It appears to be very important that I am not viewed in higher regard than he is.

But I gotta say, the orientation went well and I took some notes so I can create some information sheets and handouts to bring along the next time. I think the FA department was glad I was there. I enjoyed meeting with the students and parents. A good day!

No comments: