Thursday, July 1, 2010

Dilemma

Okay, here's the deal.

I pull into a parking place at work this morning. I'm followed in almost immediately by my boss in his POS van. He's pulling into the slot next to me, and is going kind of fast (especially for the difficult angle of the spot) and then BAM!! He hits the car on the other side. I had just turned my head in that direction and I saw the car he hit lurch from the impact. I also heard it.

He backed up, straightened out, and pulled the rest of the way into the space (at kind of a high rate of speed for what was probably a distance of 10-feet).

We both get out of the car at about the same time. I don't think he knows that I saw what happened. I glance around and there are co-workers walking down the sidewalk, looking in his direction. He hurries out of his vehicle, goes around to the back and looks at the car he hit.

"Oh thank goodness!" he said. Then he turns and walks away with a completely clear conscience. He joins me on my walk to the building and I am at a loss for words. He, on the other hand, is chatty as usual.

Now I don't know what to do with this. I know there had to be some damage but I didn't have a chance to check it. He has smacked a car, basically walked away, and from what I can tell is pretty comfortable with that. He is my boss. How big of a stink can I raise?

I had a co-worker go with me to check for damage later in the morning. We could see some scuffing and later on when I went to lunch I noticed what might be a buckle in the bumper. I was still struggling with what to do because he was the one who did something wrong and I felt it could become uncomfortable if I ratted him out. The co-worker and I consulted another co-worker. She's been around a long time. Together they figured out whose car it was (I had no idea) and then we decided I should either call the campus police or the person whose car was hit. I opted to call the person with the car.

It was mid afternoon by this time and I was trying to speak quietly so as not to be overheard. I first asked her if she drove a gray car and then told her I saw it get hit in the parking lot. She told me she had already been contacted by the campus police who had her go check her car for damage. Someone else had reported the incident to them and they checked tapes and figured out who it was. I told her it was a pretty good hit and the car had lurched so she might want to check it thoroughly. She said she was going to wash it to double check.

The police had contacted my boss and he owned up to it. Of course he had to because there were several witnesses. It ended up okay for me unless he suspects I'm the one who told on him. I guess I'll just have to speculate on that one.

Oh, and he left work early tonight, as he does every Thursday, to go to church.

No comments: