I didn't get home until about 1:00 a.m. this morning. Where was I you ask, staying out to such a late hour? I was watching Sir Paul McCartney play and sing songs from over 40 years of work. It was awesome and I had more than a few moments when I couldn't believe I was there.
I had never planned on going. Heck, I didn't even know he was going to be in concert but on Wednesday a friend called to invite me AFTER she'd already bought the tickets. That was pretty gutsy, huh? She bought my ticket, bought us dinner, and drove. I just had to be free to go. I could manage that.
The whole thing was crazy. It was probably good it was sprung on me at the last minute so I didn't have time to think too hard or stress the details. I don't even know what I would have stressed about, but I think we know me well enough to know I would have found something. The tickets were crazy expensive but my friend is a doctor so I had little to no guilt about that. We had the grandkids yesterday but they left about the time I left so I didn't feel I was abandoning R or my duties to any great degree. My daughter even managed to hold off going into labor although I kept my cell phone on vibrate and checked it frequently in case I was needed. My friend told me before we got there that if I needed to go to the hospital for my daughter, we would go. She said I didn't need to worry about that and she would understand if we had to leave.
So somehow everything that could have been a problem was solved or modified and I was just able to go, have a good time, and enjoy myself. How often does that happen?
I'm not a concert frequenter, so I have very little point of reference. This seemed to be a really good one though. He has not lost his voice and somehow has retained his boyishness at age 68. His backup band was great and they seemed younger although it's hard to determine age from a distance. I will say we had pretty great seats and a terrific view of the stage. It even worked out when I found myself behind a giant who completely blocked my view of Paul that my friend (who has a good 6 inches on me height-wise) traded seats so I could see it all. I swear I could have thrown a rock and hit Paul. I wouldn't have done that, but I could have.
During one song, I closed my eyes and recalled watching the Beatles American debut on the Ed Sullivan show when I was a kid. Yes ladies and gentlemen, I was old enough to remember that and I watched it when it happened. I was probably six years old but it was a big deal and I knew that. I also had a moment during the playing of "Yesterday" because it has always been one of my favorite songs for its melody and verse. I thought to myself that I was not only hearing this beautiful song performed live, but it was by the guy who wrote and sang it. I also tried to absorb as much visually as I could so I could draw on it later when I need it.
Okay, enough. I just wanted to get this all down before I forget. I need to get back to reality now because I have a bathroom that's not going to clean itself.
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Concert
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Awesomeness. I'm so glad you got to go.
Post a Comment