Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Foresight revisited

I have a few minutes before the storm hits and I need to shut down all computers and wi-fi in my house, so I thought I'd post.  I thought of something today that is somewhat interesting, mildly observant, and exceedingly unimportant.  So I figured I'd share.

When my first child was born, I was pretty crafty and creative.  I know I've let things slide since then (return to the 7-year crocheted afghan post for documentation) but honestly, I used to do things.  In preparation for her first birthday, I worked hard on creating a cake (I believe there were marshmallows cut and shaped to resemble elephants or some such animal) and for decorations I strung some crepe paper streamers, hung some balloons, and created a hanging "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" sign to string across the top of a doorway.

The sign was made from individually cut out letters attached to a yarn string.  To hang it, I taped each end of the string to hang in the opening between the dining and living rooms.  The letters were cut from different colors of construction paper, and although I created them myself they reflected the drafting classes I took in high school (I can print like a mutha).  They were taped to the string with scotch tape.

After her first birthday party, after throwing out all of the other decorations, I put the sign in an envelope and saved it.  The next birthday that year, which would have been my husband's, I pulled out the sign and hung it again.  Then it was pulled out for my birthday.  And the tradition was begun.

The HAPPY BIRTHDAY sign turned 31 in March.  It's been out for each family birthday since it was cut and taped together.  My daughter, who has grown into a beautiful 31-year old, has fared much, much better than the happy birthday sign.  Over the years the sign has faded considerably, a few letters have fallen off and been replaced, a few letters have parts missing which I have doctored up with masking tape of all things (archivists are aghast!), and the original scotch tape has gone bye bye in favor of repeated applications of masking or painters tape, whichever is handiest.  Of course the original scotch tape marks remain, as do stains from handling and probably cake at some point.  In a word, the HAPPY BIRTHDAY sign is ugly.

I often wished I'd had the foresight when I created the sign to make it better and with more durable materials.  I am not known for my foresight in matters like this, and honestly I had no idea the sign would survive for so long.  I didn't even intend to save it after its original use, it was just an impulse.  That impulse has caused me to hang a butt-ugly sign in my house several times a year for the past 31 years.  Way to go.

Still, we can't get rid of it because it would just be wrong.  In fact, one year I purchased a manufactured happy birthday sign where the letters are joined with rivets and are all shiny and foil covered.  I believe we used it once.  It sucked.  You can't fake a happy birthday sign, and that one was just too artificial.  Like sending your kid e-mail happy birthday greetings....for her 7th birthday....and nothing else.

So the sign remains, and I guess it's okay I did an ordinary job of creating it.  Had I done a remarkable job, it would be too precious.  It either wouldn't have been used as readily as it was or it would have been tossed after the first damage occurred.  Ordinary things become part of our lives without much thought, and before you know it they're integral.  Ordinary is good.  Ordinary works.  Foresight can be overrated.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY you ugly sign.

2 comments:

Josie said...

I call the sign when you die.

Mary said...

It's yours, baby girl!