Saturday, August 14, 2010

Misc.

I really have no idea of what to write about tonight.  I'm tired after a fun afternoon swimming and visiting at the annual cannonball contest at a friend's house.  We had one of our g-kids with us, and he had a great time too.  I even managed to keep enough sunscreen on him that he's no worse for the wear.  I think I'm in good shape too.

We also played dominoes last night.  Fun.  And last night for supper we ate home-made tacos from the non-English speaking Mexican grandma next door to my husband's shop.  I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.  I am NOT kidding.  She was worried about him working in the heat so she sent over a plate of tacos made from veggies from their garden, diced steak, and spooned into home-made tortillas.  They were amazing and spicy and hot.  One of those flavors you'll remember forever and wish you could replicate.  I polished off the last two tonight when we got done swimming.  I'd have eaten them every night for a month if there were enough.

I need to bake some cookies or something.  I'm feeling domestic.  Maybe if I rest a bit it will pass....

The weather cooled to 96 or 99 or something like that today.  That's down from 106, so we thought it was fairly comfortable.  Plus with swimming, it was pretty tolerable.  Our yard and flower beds look terrible and I'm kind of beyond caring about them.  We'll revisit it when it starts to cool off and rain again.  There is no way to keep up with things with weeks of temps near or over 100.

I got two new bras this week.  I ordered them online and I really like them.  One of them is a really pretty dark blue that I can't wait to wear.  Now I need some new underwear, and I need to throw out some old crappy bras.

Is it a sign you're boring when you start to doze off while typing out your thoughts?

Oh, before I forget.  I looked down at my diamond ring shortly after arriving at work on Thursday and saw it was dirty.  I clean it regularly so I couldn't figure out how it got dirty.  It was covered with brown stuff, like I'd dripped some coffee-colored syrup on it or something.  I went to the sink in our office (money handling requires frequent hand washing) and rinsed off the brown stuff.  When I was done, there was a hole in the central area of the ring where the diamonds are stacked.  I kept trying to make sure, and I took it to co-workers for their opinion.  They agreed it was missing.  I was shocked.  It left a hole in the center area that looked like the ring was missing a tooth.

I looked around and got out my flashlight to search for the missing diamond.  That was a tip from my big brother from years ago -- the flashlight will catch the sparkle on the diamond, making it easier to spot.  My friends at work were worried about it, but I told them it was just a small diamond and could be replaced easily.  When I went home at lunchtime I cleaned it and put it aside.

That night I took it to the local jewelry store where it was purchased so they could start the process of replacing the stone.  I also wanted it checked over for other loose stones.  The guy put it under a  microscope and kept looking and looking at it.  Then he showed me that the stone was there, it was just dirty, covered with something that we still haven't figured out.  He took it to the back and cleaned it and it was good as new.  What a break!

Okay, I'm not going to last much longer.  G'night!

No comments: