Now that it's time to put up or shut up, I'm a little bit tongue-tied. The search is complete, the deal approved, and the announcement was made that I am now the new head of the Business Office. My job is now that of the guy that drove me nuts for the past several years, and my challenge is to do the job better than he did. Leave it cleaner than I found it, so to speak.
It's something I hoped would happen, and now I must say I am kinda scared. When I tell co-workers I'm nervous about how I'll do, they all tell me I will do fine and that I'll easily do better in the job than has been done for a while. A couple have mentioned to me that the fact that I'm nervous means I want to do well and will try hard, not that I'm incapable. That is good to hear, and I believe they are right....mostly.
So now I'm forging ahead, working crazy long hours, and trying hard to grasp the tidal wave of information that is washing my way. R is my anchor and lifeline right now, and is managing the rest of our lives to the extent he can. I'm so grateful.
Which is why a day with the g-kids yesterday was a welcome respite. They made us laugh and forced me to turn my brain away from checklists and data for a while. All work and no play really does make Mary dull, so I followed their lead and played.
I also stopped and bought myself a keyboard and case for my iPad and I'm typing this on it now. It's ree-dickulus how much I've adopted and adapted my connectivity to this little binary bit of delight, but I owe my family big time for the amazing Christmas gift. They knew I would love it and they were right.
Another new obsession? Downton Abbey. I know, it's to be expected for a 50+ woman, but I seriously don't watch dramas or anything that takes an hour, so when I went with a couple of friends to a screening of the season premiere (because there was also a tea...and food) and was one of the few women there who had never even seen the show, I thought I'd at least pay attention. By the end of the screening, I wanted to know more about what was going on, so I would take my iPad and pull up old shows to watch while I took a bath. I caught up fairly well after just a couple of shows (this is just a fancy soap opera after all, with better accents) and now I watch it on Sunday nights. I'm really captured by the clothes and surroundings though. Crazy fancy.
That's it for now. I know I haven't written much lately, but I have had no time to breathe. It will be okay eventually, but for now I accept it. It's the beginning of a new adventure for me. Life's a journey, and sometimes you need an iPad.
Sunday, January 27, 2013
Okay, now what?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment