Sunday, August 18, 2013

Every little bit

Even though we had a beautiful weekend weather-wise, I couldn't devote myself entirely to the pressing task of painting the house. So in order to make myself feel better, I tackled some smaller areas when I could fit them in. I painted the two repaired windows in our TV room and this afternoon we got the storm windows for them cleaned and reinstalled. Sounds simple? Of course not. We are talking about my house, you know.

Painting the windows wasn't too hard because I threw a first coat on yesterday morning and R put the second one on today. We pulled off the bronzed aluminum storms before I started, and today I scrubbed them and wiped them with mineral spirits to clean the oxidation. The tracks were so dirty they were caked but now they are clean so when I open my windows dirt won't blow into the house. The windows are washed, inside and out, and they sparkle....ahhh....

R painted some of the front side of the house, in areas too high for me to reach (I can't do extension ladders) above the dining room windows. It looks awesome, but it's just slow going. The biggest change is the new living room window (a set of three double-hungs) that was installed this week, replacing the awful picture window that I hated (I'm sure I've mentioned that). I didn't have time to paint all three windows, but I wanted to see how it would look so I did one. My god it's gorgeous. Even people who didn't know why I hated the old window see why the new ones make sense. And once they are all painted, I think House Beautiful may be in touch.

I went into work today for several hours which is why I couldn't paint all weekend. I also had R's books to do yesterday morning and I worked some from home last night. But I DID get to use my shower for the first time since my bathroom window was installed and it was AWESOME! The only problem? The light in there is now so good that I discovered several little moles I didn't know I had. Good lord.

We played dominoes on Friday and that was a good distraction after a very hard day at work. Thank heavens for friends and wine. I will be so glad when my life is my own again, and I can actually put my feet up.

p.s. The cat is still around, and seems to have rallied over the weekend. This was after R looked up the phone number of the mobile vet who would come to the house to euthanize her. She must have heard him pull out the phone book.

No comments: