Monday, April 28, 2008

Aging brain

I had the best topic pop into my head while I was in the shower. Can't remember what it was. Aging brain cells are a real problem. Even while I was in the shower, I was telling myself I needed to think of a way to remember the topic. Either I didn't do that or I can't remember the way.

I used to have a really great memory. It's probably still pretty good by 50-ish standards, but it used to be embarrassingly strong. In grade school I never forgot a face or a name and I was constantly embarrassed by acknowledging people whom I remembered but who did not remember me. It got old explaining myself to people ("Don't you remember, we were both at the same....") so eventually I learned to just zip it. I stopped acknowledging people unless I could tell they also knew me. Pretty snotty but easier.

When I was in college (1986 through 1997) I could count on my memory early on and then it got harder and harder. I joked that my brain was just full, but it really did become more difficult to memorize stuff. Most experts say that we should use our brains and perform memorizing tasks in order to keep it optimal, but I spent 11 years studying and learning and I could still see a decline. Either that or the stuff I was studying just got harder and harder. Yeah, we'll go with that.

A few years ago, I was having some real short-term memory problems. At least I thought I was. I was also knocking back a couple of Diet Cokes a day. I heard rumors that the Nutrasweet that made the Diet Coke so delicious could cause memory problems. I don't know if I'd call mine a memory problem as much as a fuzzy brain that made it hard to focus (and remember). Anyway, after several false starts, I finally kicked the habit and after a couple of months, I did notice a difference. I was less fuzzy, more focused, and thus better able to remember. Still not like I was when I was a kid, but better than it had been.

Hey, I just realized I began my Diet Coke habit in college. I told myself it was either that or I would need narcotics to keep up. Hmmm.

The good news, I can enjoy a Diet Coke about once a week without any adverse effects. Let's face it, it's delicious stuff. But if I go over that and have two or three over a two or three day span, I'll get a migraine. Such a wuss.

Dang. Now I want one.

Just so you know, this post wasn't the one I thought of in the shower. I was kind of hoping it would pop back into my head, but it didn't. Too bad.

No comments: