When did I lose my shopping mojo? We went to a swank shopping center in a nearby city yesterday, and while we walked around and looked at lots of stuff, I had no desire to buy. Then we went to an outdoor "mall" that featured lots of mall-type stores except on a large scale. Again, no urge to purchase.
Is it stupid to think I have everything I need? I don't think it's a result of economic forecasts, or downturns, or whatever else may be affecting the national mojo. I just think I'm finished buying stuff for now.
I used to like to shop, but that was in part because I had to since I was outfitting three kids, furnishing a house, etc. Lately I just feel, for lack of a better word, "finished" with consumerism. Not a wash-my-hands-of-it kind of finished, but a completed-task kind of finished. I had stuff to buy, I bought it, and now I'm finished.
Is that an age thing? Do we reach a point in our lives where we're done buying, at least until something breaks or new technology intervenes? It's weird and feels a little like we should be in our 80's, not our 50's. At the same time, it feels good, although I'm not sure why. Could it be because when you don't crave or need to be spending you're more in control?
I'm kind of the anti-stimulus package. Does that make me the slow-down package?
Monday, October 20, 2008
Shopping
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think my daughter got your shopping mojo. Who the heck am I going to spend money with?
That would definitely be your Aunt Lu. No question.
Post a Comment