Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Good evening

I played bunco tonight. Didn't win a darn thing but had a good time. Ate too much but still managed to skip the dessert that I didn't need and couldn't have digested before next week.

Work was good today, if by good you mean I caught a major error my boss made before it got put into the system. It was a major error that would have recorded a charge to a student's account as a payment, and he did it not once but twice when he set up the codes for two new charges. It means that when Student A signed up for the XYZ meal plan in the student housing, rather than charge them, say $500 a semester, we would actually not charge them at all and PAY them $500 a semester to sign up for it. This would create a loss on the meal plan of $1,000 instead of recording income of $500.

And that was just part of his error. There were two other parts of the new codes that were wrong and needed fixing, and finally it didn't follow the naming convention we use for the code description. So I sent him an e-mail about my concerns on the code, starting off with what I felt was the simplest to fix, the name. I figured it was the least threatening way to lead in to letting him know he screwed up without actually using the words "you screwed up."

I get a reply that told me he named the code on the advice of the housing director....and that was it. He didn't address the other, more critical issues at all. AT ALL! I checked and he hadn't fixed the code. I realized that he read the first few lines of my e-mail, decided it wasn't his problem, and then quit reading. I had actually given him the four errors individually numbered, but he stopped at number one. Now I believe I've said before he isn't a detail guy, which is a hazard in our line of work. He also hates to have work (or anything else) on his desk. His desk includes his computer's inbox, and he will delete e-mails without reading if he thinks he knows what they are going to say. I'm serious.

A co-worker said she would be tempted to let his mistake stand as is because it is clearly his fault and also his fault for not reading my e-mail. But the problem is, I would be the one cleaning up his mess and dealing with the mess on the students' bills. So do I prove a point and end up making tons more work for myself or try to get him to listen to what I'm saying? That's a no brainer. Unfortunately, my boss is a no brainer too. Literally.

How in the world did he end up being the boss and I end up being the subordinate? I am not the only one asking that question, I assure you.

Oh, for more fun he is now on Facebook. I'm laying low and will delete my account if he finds me. I'm not kidding. I just don't want him reading about my life and my friends because he wouldn't get it. He's a pretty one-dimensional, conservative Christian type of guy and I don't want to have to explain or justify anything or anyone.

Okay, enough boss-bashing. He is a fairly nice guy, just bad at some things that he should be good at. He knows I'm good at what I do so I provide a safety net. Lucky me.

No comments: