Thursday, December 6, 2007

I'm there for my friends

We went out to dinner with friends tonight and had a ball. One of my girlfriends and her husband. We'd been trying to arrange this dinner for who knows how long. It's hard to arrange, not so much for me, but for her because she is so committed to everything in her life it's hard for her to find free time. But we went, we had 99-cent margaritas, and the rest is clouded history.

She is busy with her mother who is in a nursing home (mine lives on her own and is physically fine), her daughters (I only have one daughter and two sons who require less time and attention), her job (I work 3/4 time and have lots less responsibility.....and income), and her family (I have only one sister who I see once a month or so.....my brothers are in my life but not as frequently). But once we finally go out we have fun dishing, eating, drinking, and complaining about whatever. And laughing.

I really think the restaurant should have asked us to leave, but I guess when you offer 99-cent margaritas you come to expect a certain clientele. We did not disappoint.

She kept saying, again and again, we needed to do this more often, but I know that was the margaritas talking. Still, it was fun. If we did it too often, we'd have 12 steps to take.

R and her husband had a good time. They're forever patient. And they know that venting does a (woman's) body good. We vented about work, family, kids (hers, not mine), and whatever else came to mind. I feel like a pressure valve has been released.

Tomorrow, I get to sleep in because it snowed and sleeted and is now slick so I can't walk or run. What a marvelous way to enjoy the season. I have some bookwork to do, but then I may tackle something festive like baking or shopping or maybe just reading in front of the fireplace.

I did manage to send off a Christmas gift to a friend in Georgia this week. It was actually this year's gift along with last year's which I never managed to get into the mail. I felt so accomplished! I got an e-mail from her today and she got it and loved it! Friends are those people who love you even when you are a year late in sending off their gifts.

I'm so lucky with my kids, husband, and my good friends! But that might just be the margaritas talking....

No comments: