Every time I sat down this morning my eyes wanted to slam shut. I don't know why I'm sleepy but I am. I still managed to get some plants and get most of them potted and we went to the Designer's Showhouse to check it out before it wraps up in a week or two. It was nice and I just wanted to crawl into one of the big comfy beds and look out into the gardens. I got laundry done and a bit of house cleaning. I changed my sheets (without crawling into my own bed).
I think it's the (lack of) sunshine. I'm not quite warm enough, everything is wet, and I needs me vitamin D. Maybe tonight after supper we can take a long walk and that will help.
Last night we finished watching Grey Gardens. It's a documentary about Edith Bouvier Beale and her daughter, "Little Edie" who lived in the Hamptons. Big Edie was Jackie Kennedy's aunt and Little Edie her cousin. Their house was a huge Hamptons home but had fallen into disrepair and was overrun with clutter and cats. Both women were sort of reclusive, probably would be classified as hoarders, and pretty co-dependent. They were also interesting in their craziness and how they lived in the past.
I hadn't heard of them until I heard about the new movie coming out with Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore about their lives. I'm really not interested in the movie but the real story is interesting. It's probably voyeuristic, but I love a good hoarder, eccentric lifestyle story. Sometimes when I'm watching them, I imagine how I would clean the space (start with filling trash bags, begin with the floors and countertops) because I'm borderline compulsive. I say borderline because the jobs I love to tackle are the ones that make the biggest difference. My house isn't that dirty so I don't get as much bang for the buck.
I did tackle our backyard shed this weekend which was filthy and overflowing with ants. For future reference, don't store an open bag of pine bark mulch in a shed. It was a freakin' ant colony.
After the showhouse today we stopped at a little winery. It isn't actually producing wine right now but it sells wine from the area. Just having a look at the little castle and the basement wine room was a fun trip. We bought a bottle of a really fruity blush. I've got to find out more about this place, built in the 1880's.
I'd better go finish making supper.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Sleep day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment