Thursday, May 28, 2009

Crappy day

Whatever I complain about in this crappy day, it's going to end up being small and petty and foolish. This is not a complaint blog, but some days it just is. And some days, there isn't anything I can do about that.

I had a really bad day at work on multi levels (you'll see why this is petty later on). I started off the day by not walking my usual route which can leave me sluggish. I worked late last night at the old job so didn't get enough sleep which left me even more sluggish. When I got to work I was trying to check messages and actually shushed my boss who was Obama bashing while I was trying to hear them. When I went to count the deposit, I carried with me a hot chai tea latte because it was coolish this morning and I just needed a little something. While I was heading to the other end of the building to make it up, I was pushing a cart (full of cash that was hidden in a reusable bag from our local grocery store) and knocked over the travel cup as I was pulling the cart through a doorway. The cup fell to the floor of the veranda I was crossing and the top popped off and chai was everywhere, including on the shoes of our janitor, who had to go get a mop to clean it up.

It was very busy at work, I had tons to do, and I had a meeting first thing after the deposit was done. The people we were meeting with were late, but it went okay eventually and then it was over. I went back to the office where our 70+ year old cashier had run into a snag when she tried to count the safe. I spent about an hour trying to help her find the error, and it turned out she had made two mistakes. One error usually is easy to find, but multiple ones can be difficult.

I got down to work about the time my migraine medicine kicked in. My boss returned from the same meeting I attended earlier and told me he volunteered me to be on a search committee. For a new IT person. Hmm. Then he told me I would be giving one of the orientation presentations when he is on vacation in July. He normally gives them, so he decided I could do it in a pinch. Of course I've never seen his presentation or his power point file, so that should be interesting. I was extremely busy until lunch, the staff was on a gripe mission, and they reminded me I needed to pop the Thursday popcorn (our microwave access was lost in the temporary reshuffle).

So this afternoon I have a conference call with an IT guy, a software tech, and two co-workers. It goes well and is blessedly short. But right before the call I get a phone call from R which makes concentration difficult (more later -- I'm getting to the point really). Right after the meeting, the fire alarms go off in the building. They are loud and persistent, with a disembodied voice telling us to leave the building. The construction workers lining our hallway tell us it's probably just dust that got into the sensors as they are ripping out ceilings, so I'm not panicking. I head back to my office as the cashiers are leaving. I gather up a few of my things and the bowl of popcorn and head outside. After probably 15 minutes, it's over.

I'm still swamped. I try to wrap up some things but know I'm going to be working at least a little late. I finally finish my work day and go home.

Now the worst news. R got a call this morning that his oldest sister was found unconscious, purple, and breathing laboriously this morning on her bedroom floor. Her daughter found her. We don't know what happened and probably won't know for a few days. She is hospitalized but is on a ventilator. The phone call before my meeting this afternoon told me about the ventilator, which was hard to hear. We may be making a trip north to visit but there is still a lot of uncertainty.

So I'm apologizing now for complaining, and for making mountains out of my own molehills. I don't quite know what to do so I'm blogging. We're waiting on more details, but it looks now like her organs are functioning pretty well and she has pain response in her brain.

My heart feels heavy.

No comments: