I know it's Sunday but in my head it could be Saturday or maybe even the Monday holiday. I'm mixed up. I had to work yesterday and today we're babysitting so it's confusing.
I was training my second replacement at the old job yesterday morning. Yes, America, I went in to work at a job I quit nine months ago at the beginning of my holiday weekend. I either need a medal or my head examined. I strongly believe it is the latter.
My old boss, who has a knack for saying the wrong thing, seemed very proud of the fact that he had just hired someone who was 4.0 in college. He didn't miss an opportunity to tell me what a good hire she is. I finished college with one B so missed 4.0 by a hair. The way he said it I felt like such a failure. He has also told me that since I left he has farmed out the payroll tasks to his brother who is an accountant, and he doesn't know why he didn't do it years ago. I think he didn't do it years ago because he had a competent person working there and he didn't need to. Is he really that stupid?
It's funny. The boss I have now and the boss I just left are really very similar. They have some big differences too, namely the old boss used to micromanage the office to death and the new one barely manages at all. However, both had (have) a lot of trust in my abilities and turned over many tasks to me that they did not intend, giving me quite a bit of autonomy. But what strikes me most is how they both compliment my work to others with the same line: "I really did a great job hiring Mary, didn't I?" which is clearly complimenting themselves.
Oh well. Such is my lot in life -- to be someone's great hire.
I guess I should stop. I'm feeling a little addled. I think I'll just play some freecell and go to bed early. Wish I had rented a movie for the evening, but R was going to watch the Coca-Cola 600 which has been postponed due to rain. Our littlest grandson is upstairs sleeping and being generally adorable. Good day don't you think?
Sunday, May 24, 2009
What day is it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment