Friday, May 1, 2009

Weary

I've been weary this week. Wednesday was busy, hectic, and a little stressful. I was getting ready to host bunco and was cooking, cleaning, and running errands. I had a full day planned when I came home from an errand and found water in a puddle in the middle of my kitchen floor. I believe I did a double take while trying to figure out what I spilled before I left for my errands.

I then noticed the water hadn't spilled but had dripped from a pretty good height. It left a splash pattern on the floor. I looked up and couldn't see anything at first. I finally noticed a small drip hanging off the bottom of the center light fixture. I got a stool and reached up. Yep, it was water. I removed the globe and more water came out of the fixture. That can't be good.

It's been raining here for the past week, probably 5 or 6 inches in all. When the water came in, we were experiencing another downpour that was also blowing. I stood in the middle of the kitchen, trying to figure out what to do. I called R and he said he was going to call our carpenter.

I was resistant because I was busy trying to get ready. I know that's stupid, but I really didn't have time. R told me we had no choice and I know he was right. Our carpenter came, examined the roof on the balcony that is over part of the kitchen, and we came to the conclusion it was a result of clogged gutters that R had tried to clean but it was raining too hard. There is still a place where the water is getting in somehow, but with functioning gutters it will be bypassed for now.

Sigh...

I managed to get everything done I needed to get done anyway. Bunco was great. I didn't win a thing. I've been tired ever since though, and tonight I had to work on R's books for about 3 hours this evening. I'm absolutely pooped.

Want to hear my other bummer news? My beloved lilacs are not going to bloom this year. I thought they would be okay after a couple of late freezes but apparently they were caught at the wrong time and the blooms are sparse at best. None of them are fully bloomed, just the tips of the lilacs here and there. My viburnum is awesome though so I cut a big beautiful bouquet to make up for the lack of lilacs. And the peonies are on tap to be spectacular. My hydrangea that I planted last year is sending up shoots and the astilbes are really full and lush. And all this while my back yard is a lake and the baby grass is struggling to keep from drowning.

And I don't own a dogwood but I have never seen them so pretty as they are this year.

Okay, time for bed. I'm going to turn off the alarm and really get some rest.

No comments: