Thursday, November 11, 2010

Creature of habit

Now that I'm out of my element, it is abundantly clear that I am the definition of "creature of habit".  I used to think I was pretty flexible but I've become someone whose comfort zone has shrunk to the size of her house. 

Most notably, I am missing my bed.  More specifically, I miss my bedroom.  I guess over the years I've modified it to where it is the most comfortable place for me to sleep in the entire world.  I have the light (or lack of it) just the way I want it, the room is extraordinarily quiet, and my bed is contoured to fit me.  I was thinking about it today as I "woke up" (truth is I barely slept) in my daughter's house while staying with the grandkids for a few days, and wondered if I would ever be able to move to a different house.  I'm serious. 

At my daughter's suggestion I have a small fan going to create some white noise to drown out the traffic (there's not that much but I can hear trucks on a highway in the distance) and the aging beagle with sinus issues who sleeps in their room.   I'm not a fan of white noise, but we'll see if it's preferable to the other noises.

Gad I'm pathetic. 

I also miss my kitchen where I know where things are (who stores a cork screw above the microwave where people under six-feet tall can not possibly find it in a zinfandel emergency?) and it makes sense to me.  This is where the inflexibility really comes to light because I know what's intuitive for me in a kitchen but everyone's intuition or even use of that space is different.  My way of course is the right way, but I"m willing to allow for differences.

What has been fun besides a full out dose of g-kid cuteness is that I finally am getting some use out of the little notebook we bought for R that I've dragged all over the house here and used just as it should be.  I prepped it before I left with updated addresses and such, so I feel like I have what I need with me which is a first. 

I also tried to take a soaking bath in their huge jetted tub which is WAY cooler than my old cast iron tub in my tiny bathroom but I couldn't bring myself to get the water high enough to work the jets.  I'm too cheap and it just seemed wasteful.  Still the bath was good and I'm super relaxed and warmed now.

Now I need to wrap up and get some sleep.  Pray the baby is on board with that.

No comments: