I'm sitting down and man oh man are my dogs barkin'. I've been standing in the kitchen since last night when I put together the cinnamon rolls and mixed up the soups today. My Mom got moved, my family came for lunch, and now everyone is gone and R is finishing up cleaning the kitchen. We used disposable everything so there are only some large pots to wash and a few other things. I made the cinnamon rolls in my Grandma's roll pan (that's what we always called it) and they rocked. My Mom gave it to me because I always make the cinnamon rolls when we get together. I also made the chicken noodle soup in my Mom's humongous soup pot. I used an entire batch of noodles in the pot, and doubled the recipe. Still plenty of room in the pot. How dang big is that thing anyway? The humongous soup pot is now mine and I treasure it along with the roll pan. They are both beat up and clearly aged, but that's what makes them lovely. I can't even imagine what they looked like new, but they are more beautiful now.
I tried to make it a nostalgic meal that included my version of everyone's comfort foods. I made Irish potato soup (Mom's recipe), some Chex mix (family friend's recipe with my modifications), some pound cake (family friend's recipe), plus my own chicken noodle soup and taco soup and cinnamon rolls. I was thinking that by recreating meals from our past, we could acknowledge that Mom may not be cooking and feeding us all, but the memories of those times are alive and well. And I don't think Mom minded passing the torch.
I'm about to fall asleep. I think I need a snooze so my feet can rest some more. Plus I'm incredibly full and drowsy.....
Saturday, November 20, 2010
Dogs are barkin'
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment