.....I'm convinced I saw something this morning that fascinated me if it's true. We were driving along on the interstate with the g-kids in the back seats and the sun was still pretty low in the sky. It was casting shadows on the gentle hills and caught the top of one of them, illuminating a shallow line down the side of the hill. It was something you wouldn't see if the sun were overhead or if you were too close, but at a distance it looked like an old road or trail that had been consumed by the grass in the fields. Nearby was a more recent path, with ruts and chewed up soil, but the shallow indentation in the hill was subtle, barely there but still visible at the right moment with the right light.
More than one old trail ran through these parts, the Santa Fe Trail and the Oregon Trail are the most noteworthy, and it's well known that remnants of the trails are still visible in places. I have never seen one, but when I saw the sun shining on that hill this morning, revealing that shadow, I thought immediately that it must be one.
It doesn't really matter if it was part of a trail or not. It was cool to think about it and imagine it being used by horses and wagons heading west. I've always thought about people traveling the hills before there were impediments of towns and highways and fences, and I used to block out any signs of civilization like telephone poles to try and see what they would see.
So that's my discovery of the day. Even if it isn't.
Saturday, April 30, 2011
This is dumb but....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Whenever we are driving towards Colorado, I imagine what the pioneers must of been thinking when the came upon the Rockies. "Oh, Shit," probably. And I imagine the pioneers when I see the old stone fences around the flint hills. I find myself picturing how things used to look in pioneer time alot. I read alot of Laura Ingalls Wilder when I was younger...
Post a Comment