Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What did I learn from it?

I'm waiting on the sunshine to return and stay.  We've waffled back and forth between chilly and warm and today was chilly again.  Yesterday was chilly and overcast and a little bit wet.

I wrapped up my leadership class yesterday and "graduated."  My boss attended as my supervisor, along with various levels of supervisors from other departments.  Many of the other supervisors had been through the course before and a few of them brought their staff graduation balloons or cards.  My boss, who usually manages to figure out exactly what he should not say (and then says it anyway) said, "I knew you wouldn't want balloons, so I didn't get you any."  I turned to him and said, "It never occurred to you to get me any," which we both knew was 100% true while what he said was 100% untrue.  He couldn't deny it, so he countered with "That's true, but if I had though of it I knew you wouldn't want any."

Now isn't that interesting how his failure to acknowledge was justified by my own probable lack of enthusiasm for the non-event?

Today he was even more annoying which was really putting my new group cooperating, leadership practicing, teamwork building skills to the test.  I don't think my colors were flying, but I hope to do better later on and at least pass.  One setback does not a failure make.

No comments: