I finally got the results of the blood test I had last week. Trouble is, the results were not what I wanted. You know you're pathetic when you're hoping you have a thyroid malfunction. Dang it, my thyroid's fine!
A couple of weeks ago called my doctor's office to get an appointment for an annual checkup. They told me it would be seven months (what the hell?) so I scheduled it for December 23 but told them I was really hoping to get a blood test to check my thyroid because I thought my hair was thinning. I have a friend on thyroid medication who told me when she notices her hair is thinning, she knows she needs to get checked and probably have her medication increased. I could get a blood test without an appointment, so she checked with the nurse and they told me to go ahead and get one. I went in on Tuesday of last week.
That gave me a week to convince myself I had a sluggish thyroid. Fatigue, thinning hair, unexplained weight gain (or the inability to lose it as translated by me). I even decided my eyebrows were thinning (that may not be true but when scrutinizing in such detail, assumptions happen).
I got the results today and my thyroid was stupidly normal. As a second option, I was thinking maybe I was starting menopause.....also not the case. They also checked my blood sugar which was normal. But my cholesterol.....Dang it!
I've never had a problem with cholesterol in my life. I've always been one of those people who didn't have to watch what she ate (except for calories) and who still had remarkable numbers. Now I don't even have that. I was also the person who may have a lot of gray hair, but it was lush and thick and healthy. I'm worried that I won't have that either.
Plan C is that my hair loss is a temporary, seasonal thing. My dogs are shedding like crazy, so why can't I? I called my hairdresser and made an appointment for Friday. I'm going to ask her if she notices a difference (it's really kind of hard to tell, but I think I notice it when I'm styling it in the morning) and if she does, what do I do about it.
Sigh...
Okay, enough whining. I'm just thankful that I'm healthy, well, and in a position to resolve whatever minor health issues I may encounter. And I'm officially over wanting to have a thyroid problem. But it felt good to get it off my chest.
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Dang it
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment