Saturday, June 7, 2008

I've got timing

I may have my figures wrong, but I think I saw that unemployment had reached 5.5% last month. That's a fairly high figure on its own (remember, it means that five and a half people out of every hundred who are actively seeking employment are unable to find it) but I think the big story was the increase over the April figure. Also, if you add in those people who gave up the job search but are still unemployed and those people (like me) who are employed part time but looking for full time work, the figure rises to nearly 10%.

What that means to me is that in my quest for a different job, I'm competing with a larger, deeper, frequently more qualified pool of fellow applicants. Damn.

I finally got a rejection letter from the organization that called me back for a second interview, when was that...April? It arrived on Friday but I'd already written it off so I wasn't bummed. Today I got a rejection letter from a company that I had forgotten I'd even applied to. I was a little bummed, because they didn't even interview me. But it was with a large funeral home company, so that would have been, hmmm....unusual?

After learning the most recent unemployment figures, and taking into account that I'm competing with an influx of new graduates in the accounting and finance fields, I decided I have once again shown my flair for impeccable timing (read with sarcasm). But I'm trying to look on the bright side, and realize that it takes time to find the right position. Plus I'll still have vacation time to use when the new grandchild arrives in about 6 weeks. I'd hate to miss that special time to help with the baby, and the time off will be so welcome.

We had the little ones here last night and today. What fun. I think the best part is seeing the little personalities emerge. You just never know what you're going to get! But I have to admit to being a horrible failure in one respect as a grandmother. After they left, we were picking up some photos I had developed from a camera shop today and ran into an old neighbor who happens to work there. We visited for a while about our kids and grandkids and she saw that I had an envelope of photos and asked me if I had pictures of the grandkids. I told her I didn't know what I had because the pictures weren't digital but were taken on my Advantix camera. I looked through them and I had zero pictures of the grandkids, several pictures of our dogs, a couple of our cats, several from the ice storm from last winter, and a couple from the tail end of my son's wedding a year ago. I also had no pictures in my purse except one of my grandson that is about two years old. I suck at that grandmotherly attribute. Truth is I don't like to carry pictures because those little photo albums just weigh down my purse. And I am terrible at keeping things updated.

R is making popcorn now and I don't want to get butter on my laptop. Ta!

No comments: