My son came over tonight and I told him about my computer issues and he fixed them. Now I can do searches in either browser and it works fine. I used to be the go-to-gal for IT issues, but I'm out of the loop now and way out of date. I don't miss it.
R's family is all in town for a wedding this weekend. I must admit to suffering from family overload at times like these which is silly but there it is. I love being around MY little family and can take them for as long as we can get them, but it's easy to be overextended with our large extended families. And I always think it's more of a challenge when it's your spouse's family, don't you?
Let's see. Work has settled down although new issues are coming up at the technical school. My temporary gig there is set to end on 6/30 but they have not finalized what will happen after that. We thought they did, but now they are making a decision through non-decision. My biggest fear that the work will go back to my counterpart there who made a colossal mess of things so she can do it again. And I can fix it again. I'm dumbstruck at the lack of leadership or attention to detail over there.
Sometimes I wonder if the problem is really as big as it feels to me. I see it from an accountant's point of view, and with an accountant's eye to detail. I have not had to run a school and handle all of the other problems that come up, not the least of which is budget.
I had dinner last night at the house of the university president. It was a thank you dinner for our work on a charity committee and it went well. I met him and his wife (very nice and down to earth) and I don't think I embarrassed myself. I did not spill, swear, burp, slobber, or say anything inappropriate. Score!
I hadn't mentioned it to very many people at work that I was going there for dinner. One co-worker knew and asked me about it and another overheard. The president and his wife live in a university-owned house in a neighborhood very close to mine (but MUCH fancier). Immediately the other co-worker began to comment on the house that our maintenance and landscaping crews have to keep up. Then she complained that the wife plays golf and watches the staff who cleans her house. I suggested that since the university owns the house, it really is the university's job to keep it up, and if I had to open up my house as often as they do to entertaining I would welcome it. But even with that I would keep an eye on what people were doing because the house contains personal items.
And I don't know what the snide golf comment was about. Sometimes people are just haters, you know?
I guess it boils down to my being tired of people sometimes. There's so much baggage that comes with people and their personalities, likes and dislikes. I bring it to the table just like anyone else. I try to be cognizant of where others come from and I really do think one of my strengths is giving the benefit of the doubt. But you know, sometimes I just like to be by myself or with R who is easy to be around (as he should be after all these years, right?) and not have to deal with being nice, being understanding, or putting up with other people's foibles. Or families.
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Fixed
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment