Sunday night I made a clumsy move lumbering off of the couch and caught my little toe on the corner of the ottoman. I heard a crack and stumbled and hopped on into the living room before I hit the floor. MAN did that hurt!
R doesn't react quickly when I'm hurt for some reason, and he turned and saw me on the living room floor. "Hon, are you okay? What did you do?"
First of all, when I'm hollering, stumbling, and hopping and then lying on the living room floor, I'm probably not okay. And when I'm in pain, I'm probably not going to be patient with that line of questioning.
Anyway, I elevated the foot and put a cold cloth on it for as long as I could but it throbbed like a migraine. It started to swell a little and it hurt to walk on it. By Monday morning it was purple and there was no chance of taking my morning walk or even putting on a shoe. Thank goodness it's summer (almost) and I could get by with a pair of flip flops.
However, my flip flops are too low to pair with my slacks for work that are sized to wear with heels, so I dug out an old denim skirt and threw together the best outfit I could under my handicapped circumstances. I taped my little toe to the next toe so people wouldn't think I was just being overly casual with my footwear. Plus it hid some of the purple that was spreading over the edge of my foot.
Today I tried a pair of strappy flat sandals with another skirt but it was still hitting my foot in the wrong place. Then I switched to a fancy pair of flip flops with beading but they hurt my feet even when they're not injured, so I had to resort to another pair of Reef flip flops. I looked a bit off with a dressier skirt but at least I could walk.
Tonight I put on my walking shoes and we went to the mall. I was able to walk a little while shopping an Eddie Bauer sale so I think I'll survive. I had to pull off the shoe when we got to the car though. I found that I have a bump or a knot or something hard on the top knuckle of that toe and it hurts when I press on it but maybe it will heal. I sure hope so. I don't have the cutest feet to start with, so I don't need Quasimodo toes.
The purple has spread around about half of my upper foot but is more gray now then when it started. I think that's a good sign, but I don't know why. It just seems like it should be.
So that's about it. Sympathy anyone?
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Pain
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sorry to hear about your toe, Mary! Hope you had fun at the sale!
- Paolo, Eddie Bauer
Post a Comment