Saturday, December 18, 2010

True to form

I have always had the unfortunate habit of tackling the most unimportant, non-urgent, and time-consuming tasks when I have a lot to do.  This is the last weekend before Christmas, so I found myself organizing my mother's investment and IRA files that I took so I could calculate her minimum distribution for the year.  We bought a file box, and I went through the folders page by page.  They were filed haphazardly which is unacceptable for the accountant and former secretary in me.  Now it's all good.

Is the baking done?  Nope.  Is the wrapping done?  It's started but far from done.  Is the tree up?  Yes, but only partially decorated.  Is the laundry done?  No, but some of it is.  Is the house clean?  Not even close. 

It doesn't matter though, because that's how I operate.  I need some stupid task to get me moving onto tasks that I really should be doing.  I must have some mental twitch that makes me do this, but it doesn't really hurt I guess.  I almost always get done what I need to get done, and what I don't do usually doesn't matter.

My middle son turns 30 this week.  Poor kid has an poorly-timed birthday but his tolerant nature has never resented it.  I often catch myself thinking "Oh yeah, I've got to buy a birthday gift too!" but I never actually forgot the day.  I spent Christmas Day in the hospital when he was born, which was probably one of the quietest, most peaceful Christmases I ever spent.  He was brought to me in a red and white striped stocking.  I still have the stocking somewhere but did not remember to take his picture in it at the time.  I guess I've always been a little spacey...

I started wrapping tonight and can't find any gift tags.  We also have very few bows that aren't smashed and our wrapping paper is thin and tears easily.  If I was the kind of person that cared about gift wrapping, I'd be appalled.  Good thing I'm not.  I like it when other people do a nice job of wrapping gifts, I just don't do it myself.

Tomorrow we're celebrating my younger sister's 50th birthday.  I'm bringing some things to the party, so I'll have to get an early start with the baking.  I did get her gifts wrapped (in Christmas paper, sorry to say) so that's done.  I forgot to buy a card unless I can find one up in my desk.  Let's hope I bought one in a flash of foresight.

Nuff for now.  I'm tired.

No comments: