Thursday, December 30, 2010

Backlash

I've had a weird backlash to cleaning out my Mom's house after her move.  Because I've gone through so many drawers and folders and closets and boxes, and because I've brought some of the more sentimental stuff home to my house, I feel the need to clear out some of my own drawers and folders and closets and boxes.  I spent a good part of the day cleaning up my home office, filing stuff dating back to last summer, tossing stuff that needed to be tossed, and rearranging stuff for better use or access.  I love that kind of work.

I had saved the day so I could do this, but I didn't know how long it would take.  I started by moving my iron and ironing board from my office closet to my bedroom closet for two reasons:  1.  There is more room in there to set it up and use it, and 2.  There is an outlet in my bedroom closet.  Moving it in there meant moving a couple of things out, which are now in the upstairs hallway awaiting a big strong man to carry them out. 

Then I had to shuffle photos and things hanging on the walls.  I took lots of photographs out of frames so I can put them in albums and get rid of the frames.  I reframed or replaced them with other things that are more up to date.  And since this past year I finally finished putting the photos (in order) in albums, it won't be hard to accommodate the extra photos. 

I caught up some bookwork and some filing and I dusted shelves in there that were absolutely filthy.  I got rid of stuff to sell or donate and cleaned out the drawers in my sewing machine.  Yesterday I cleaned out my button box (who DOES that?) and took all of the spare buttons out of the little zip lock bags.  I moved the contents to my mother's old button basket which is more awesome and antique-y than mine.  And roomier.  I cleaned out old fabric and patterns.  And today I bought little scissors to put in my crochet bag that have a cover on the tip so I don't get stabbed.

So now, if I want to work or sew or crochet or iron, I have a tidy space, helpful tools, and a convenient outlet at hand.  That leaves no excuse for not getting things done.  At least no good excuse.

And now I need a little nap.  Ta!

No comments: