Sunday, May 15, 2011

Insane

If I have not received the clinical diagnosis of insanity, I probably should.  I got some kind of burr up my butt recently and decided I needed a new color on my living room walls.  The beautiful Toffee Crunch (that I affectionately called "Butterscotch Milk") was in perfect shape and still looked nice and yummy.  However, because we had added some artwork and a few other things in there and throughout the first floor, I felt the color was becoming competitive.  I have long considered a more neutral taupe in there, especially with the achingly gorgeous "Mountain Stream" blue in the dining room and the more unremarkable sage green in the TV room.

Last weekend, I looked at paint colors at a big box home improvement store.  I grabbed a handful of neutral taupes ranging from greenish to grayish to pinkish to brownish.  I took them home and taped them to my walls to see what worked and what didn't.  It didn't take long to eliminate all but three, then I moved down to two.  I stuck the strips behind furniture to see how it worked with those colors, behind paintings to check it with those, on different walls in different light, and then I narrowed it to the one:  Potter's Clay.  I even liked the name.  I let it hang for a couple of days so I could look at it in sunlight, when the sky was overcast, in the dawn and in the twilight.  I love the way paint colors change throughout the day but I also want to like them when they do.

The paint card hung for a couple of days when I realized it looked a lot like another color I've used in my house.  I pulled it off the wall and carried it to the downstairs bathroom and found I had managed to find the almost identical color to the one I used in there that was called "Whippet."  So if anyone is wondering, Whippet and Potter's Clay are basically the same.  I could have done all the research I needed while sitting on the toilet.

So here was the paint plan.  We were going to be busy on Saturday with a graduation party and dominoes with friends, plus we had bookwork to catch up.  I scheduled a day of vacation Monday where I was really hoping to chill and play a little, so that left Sunday.  But I woke up on Saturday with a stiff neck and a sore shoulder, and could barely move or turn my head.  I medicated it and put some heat on it, but worried it would interfere with my painting plan.

I woke up Sunday with the same pain, but determination overruled common sense.  We went out and bought the paint and I told myself that if I started painting, it would probably loosen up.  I started cutting in the walls which is a challenge when you can't look up.  Bifocals require an even bigger stretch, but I pushed on.

This is where the insanity comes in.  I had to work painfully slow because of...well...the pain, but I kept at it.  It took all day for me to cut in and then paint the room, but I was too stubborn to quit.  The reason?  I didn't want to paint on my vacation day.  Laying around smelling of Ben-Gay is okay, but painting is out.  It would go against my paint plan.

The end result is the room is done, it looks fabulous, and I'm glad I did it.  Tomorrow I'll rehang the art and enjoy the full effect.  And the room will be clean because while I had the furniture moved away from the walls, I washed the curtains and the wood floors.  I told you -- insane!  But at least the only thing I'll be painting on my day off is my toenails.

2 comments:

Josie said...

I'm sure it looks fabulous, because you're good like that, but honestly, I'm going to miss that butter color. It was so rich and slightly shocking.

Mary said...

You'll be happy to know I left the butter color in the vestibule at the front door and at the back of the shelves by the fireplace. I couldn't part with it entirely!