We are babysitting our son's pug, who is younger than ours and a bit friskier. He is a good dog but of higher energy than we are used to. Apparently he also has a different digestive schedule.
I've admitted on numerous occasions to being pretty clueless and unobservant. Keeping that in mind, you can imagine how we handled it when the guest pug kept coming upstairs last night as we were trying to get some work done in our office. We thought he was being nosy or seeking company or just being a pest, so we kept shooing him back down the stairs, telling him that pugs belonged on the first floor (our rule is: cats only in the basement, pugs only on the first floor, and people welcome everywhere). Finally I had R put up the gate so he couldn't climb the stairs to bug us.
After a while I had to go retrieve some paperwork from the kitchen, and I smelled something unmistakeable when I got to the foot of the stairs. I looked around, and discovered this:
I called to R that there was poo and I needed him, and he asked why I couldn't clean it up. I told him there was a LOT. of it and that it was EVERYWHERE (the picture is but a portion and how in the world did it get on the wall?) He came downstairs and immediately began to gag and heave. I started laughing and couldn't stop. My eyes were watering and I couldn't see which was a problem because the poo was mostly on our dining room area rug which is very patterned so it was camouflaged. We both were trying to clean up the mess, he while gagging and me while crying, but we couldn't figure out which of the three pugs was responsible. First I wondered if the blind deaf pug had somehow got his face in it and then run into the wall (which he does at least 50 times a day), but I realized it was too high up for him to have done it. It did not appear to be explosive diarrhea because it wasn't "sprayed" on the wall. (I'm sorry about that particular mental picture. Heck I'm sorry about the actual picture.)
Then it hit me: the guest pug, when he is using our yard to do his business, always turns his back to whatever he does after he finishes and kicks at it in order to cover it up with grass or dirt or whatever. He's really very tidy and considerate that way. However, when you do your business on our dining room carpet and you kick backwards at it, it just goes flying -- flinging to be precise -- and apparently it can achieve some pretty good height.
It must have taken 30 minutes to clean up the walls and the floors and the carpet. We also found pee in the kitchen that we know was his because he is the only male pug still lifting his leg and it was on the side of my cabinets (I know, gross, but at least there's no photographic evidence.) After we got it cleaned up I felt bad because it was pretty clear he had been trying to tell us he wanted to go out when we thought he was just being nosy. So that's what you get for misjudging a pug. Flinging poo.
No comments:
Post a Comment