Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I want to retire -- NOW!

My five-day weekend is nearly over. I hate that. I didn't get as far along with the closet work as I would have liked, but I did get the stuff cleared out and sorted and now there are lots of piles in the guest room, hallway, by the front door, etc. I cleaned and vacuumed both closets after I emptied them and began the spackling in the largest one. After I get that one sanded, I can start painting. It won't need much primer -- just the big shelf. The other closet is completely paneled so will need lots of primer and a lot more time. I really should remove the paneling and drywall it but I'm not insane enough to take that on.

I didn't find anything interesting. I was hoping for cash or something profitable, but mostly it was kid junk. I did find some old patterns I was afraid I had tossed. I took them to J so she can make the same cute little things for the g-kids that I made for my kids. I went through a lot of books and filled a big shopping bag to take to the library for the used book sale. I tried to be judicious in my sorting and get rid of books that I wasn't interested in ever reading or re-reading. The small bookcase that fits in the closet now has room for future acquisitions or to hold stuff from other shelves throughout the house.

I've got boxes to take to the boys with their school stuff. I'm not going through those boxes -- some things you don't want to know. I pitched a lot of clothes that were too disgusting to give to charity. I had no idea I'd been storing so many pairs of badly torn pants and horribly stained shirts in my guest closet for so many years. A lot of the remaining clothes belong to R and he doesn't even know he has them so he'll go through them tonight. What he doesn't keep will go to charity.

I found THREE electric typewriters. I think that is at least two too many. I'll keep my little Brother model that I use for forms come tax and reporting time (plus I just bought a new ribbon for it). I have an IBM Selectric that I may take to the office as a spare. I also have a Smith-Corona with a needlepoint cover(!) that was my aunt's. I'm a little concerned about giving that away because it was something she used a lot. But the truth is, I didn't even know I had it. Clean Sweep would consider that grounds to get rid of it. Don't tell my mom.

It dawned on me today that I have less than 5 weeks to complete this project before the open house for my 50th. I suppose it's not critical that it's finished -- after all I could just stuff things back in and shut the doors -- but I removed the closet doors for R to take to his dumpster. They were crappy and falling apart. Now I at least have to get new doors purchased, sized, and hung.

We worked outside this past weekend and managed to slice, reseed and fertilize the back yard. I'm keeping water on it to make up for the past month of neglect during the 100 degree heat. We're hoping the new grass is up before the open house. I also put a second coat of sealer on the deck and it looks great. Overall this was a productive weekend and we even took an afternoon and drove to visit the kids and g-kids.

I REALLY want to retire now. It looks like my only option is a winning lottery ticket....

No comments: