Sunday, September 16, 2007

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

I got the walls of one of the guest room closets painted yesterday, two coats. They look fabulous and it covered up the blue in the original closet that made the tiny, tiny, unlit space appear really, really dark. Today I tackled the trim in that closet and there was a butt-load of it. Since there is one original (tiny, tiny) closet and a second added on under the slope of the ceiling adjoining it, there are lots of trim and door areas to paint, as well as shelving and the supports for that. Also, because it is an old house, there are mopboards along each of the walls where they meet the closet floors. Tons of reaching, bending and stooping. There is even a small attic access panel that I painted the frame of.

There were some spots on the trim that needed a second coat and I decided to tackle that this evening before I indulged in leftover homemade pizza for supper. I put on my painting clothes again and got all of the touch up done, mostly the mopboards and a couple of door jambs. Then I smugly picked up my paint, sealed the can, and decided to tidy the area so I could transfer stuff from the other closet so it will be ready to work on when I have time. I picked up my tools, rags, and another paint can before I realized....wait....that's my trim color. What did I use on my second coat? I used the wall paint! Damn! It's an eggshell finish latex paint in a color called Water Chestnut which is an off-white. The trim paint is a semi-gloss latex in Milky White which is exactly what it says. The color of milk. When the Water Chestnut is wet, it looks amazingly like the Milky White, but it dries to an off-white and a different finish.

Stupid!

I went downstairs, washed my brush, and went right back upstairs and repainted it with the correct paint. I didn't care if it was still wet or whatever. At this point my annoyance with the job outweighed my desire to do it properly. Besides, it's just a closet that isn't even lit. No one but me will ever be able to tell. And I still have the second closet under the ceiling slope to paint, along with the shelves from both closets (but not today).

Then I came downstairs and ate my left over pizza. Now I'm looking for some incense because I think some sort of relaxing aroma would be beneficial about now. Or maybe a Zinfandel.

No comments: