Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Enough already!

I'm not sure this is related to my recent illness, but I went to bed last night with a killer headache. I was suspecting that it had something to do with finishing the prednisone the day before. I slept fitfully and woke up about 4:30, pretty sure that there was an aneurysm and it was at the bursting point. I don't remember such a mongo headache before, but at 4:30 a.m., things seem worse than they are. I was tossing and rocking and holding my head and could not get comfortable. I laid on my back and I could feel layers of pain peeling back and repositioning within my skull. Weird and scary.

I was ready to lose it and I woke up R. He got me a cold washcloth and a couple of ibuprophen (as if! -- but it was still sweet) and then held me while we waited for it to work.

After a couple of minutes I felt nauseated and ran and threw up the ibuprophen. I rarely throw up so it's a big deal when I do. I finished up and crawled back in bed to a worried R who held me for a while. It was like I threw up the headache, and I was left with just a dull ache instead of the acute pounding that I had earlier. Finally I drifted off to sleep.

I know that sounds like a migraine, and it probably was. But my question is: can a migraine be triggered by finishing a short round of prednisone? I've had only a handful of similar headaches before so I'm not good at recognizing them when they make an appearance. But it's easy to tell what's going on after the fact.

This morning I stayed home from work for a couple of hours because I was still a little nauseated and had a dull headache. Two of the attorneys are gone so work is really slow anyway. But COME ON! When do I get my old self back!

Wait....you don't think this is how it's going to be from now on, do you? I'm depressed at the thought. Today I decided that the weather was never going to clear and it was always going to be cloudy and chilly, I am always going to have a nagging cough that is triggered by cold air or exertion, and my job is always going to suck. This way, even if it improves just a little, it will seem like a lot.

The up side of all of this is I'm getting a lot of crappiness out of the way in one fell swoop. We all have crappy spells in our lives, so when you're living through one of them, you may as well go all the way. And it makes a better story later on when there are multiple levels of crappiness that you had to deal with and survive.

No comments: